We had guests over and we went to grillin’. We grilled fajitas and made all the fixin’s… good ole guac, pico, grilled veggies, rice and beans, and don’t forget that homemade salsa. I had promised George and the crew I would make them a pie, to thank them for all the work they had done on the house.
Well I couldn’t make up my mind so… I made two desserts. A friend of mine gave me some extra rhubarb that she had left over from making strawberry rhubarb jam. Oh YUM! That jam was delicious. So I made a strawberry-rhubarb cobbler.
Since I was making two desserts, I kinda cheated and used Pillsbury pie crust. I do that sometimes when I’m in a hurry. No one ever notices that it’s not my homemade crust. Or maybe they just don’t say anything. Well I think it taste pretty good to me. For the Cobbler itself all I did was mix rhubarb cut up and strawberries chopped. ( I leave my strawberries pieces big. ) I don’t really have a recipe, so here is what I did for this large casserole dish.
- I used about 5 cups of rhubarb chopped in about 1/2 in or so pieces
- about 3 cups strawberries chopped
- about a cup of sugar (depends on the sweetness of your strawberries my strawberries were really sweet)
- 3-4 tablespoons of tapioca to thicken (I had some on hand but your can thicken with cornstarch)
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons or so of orange zest
Just mix all the ingredients together and put in a pie or casserole dish. I didn’t put crust on the bottom of this cobbler I just topped with crust. You can even do a dump type crust with this cobbler. Bake 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until crust is nice and brown and cobbler is good and bubbly.
If you need a specific recipe to follow because sometimes I do. I found this one on-line that is real similar to what I made. Strawberry rhubarb pie
My second dessert was a lemon meringue pie. It must have been good. I didn’t get a picture before it was sliced. And all that was left was one slice by the time I had a chance to take a pic.
I couldn’t find my recipe for lemon meringue pie that I usually use. But Lil Biv had made this pie filling before and it was so good. It didn’t make as much as my recipe does but boy is it good. So here is the link to the Lemon Meringue Pie. And it is so yummy! I may have to bake 2 pies and see which I like better. My recipe or this recipe. Now for the meringue I used 6 egg whites and half the sugar and sometimes I use cream of tartar when making my meringue. People think meringue is hard to make. It is not.
- Chill your bowl in freezer
- only use glass or stainless steel bowl
- Make sure the bowl is good and clean
- do not get egg yolk in your whites….any fat at all with keep meringue from fluffing up
- beat on high-speed… I mean high
- slowly add sugar and if you have fine baking sugar use that. (but most of time I just have regular cane sugar on hand and it it’s fine.)
- add cream of tartar if you want stiffer peaks than what is forming.
- whip until peaks are standing up
Next time I make meringue, I will try to remember to record the process and show y’all. I’m trying to get use to this blogging stuff. And I know I like lots of how to pics. I promise to get better with the pictures.
What are some of y’alls favorite pies to make? Please share, I love new recipes to try!
Y’all have a blessed day today. Stay cool in this summer heat.